Steps to Complete a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) on StudentLoans.gov
1. The student Logs In to Studentloans.gov using his or her Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID if completing the Subsidized/Unsubsidized MPN or the Graduate PLUS MPN. The borrowing parent Logs In using his or her own FSA ID if completing the Parent PLUS MPN:
2. Once Logged In, select “Complete a Master Promissory Note”:
3. Click on “View What You Need” to review the information you will need to have readily available in order to complete the applicable Master Promissory Note (MPN). Then select the type of Direct Loan MPN you are completing in this session.
a. An undergraduate student will select “Subsidized/Unsubsidized”.
b. The borrowing parent of a dependent undergraduate student will select “Parent PLUS”.
c. A graduate or professional student who wishes to apply for an Unsubsidized Loan and a Graduate PLUS Loan will select “Subsidized/Unsubsidized” and proceed to complete that MPN. Once he or she has completed the Subsidized/Unsubsidized MPN, the student returns to this page and selects “Graduate PLUS” and then completes that MPN.
4. Proceed with providing all the requested MPN information.
5. After you have completed the applicable MPN(s) on StudentLoans.gov, return to Federal Direct Loan (FDL) Application Steps on the UGA OSFA Web site and select the type of loan(s) for which you are applying to review the other things you may need to complete, such as “Entrance Counseling” on StudentLoans.gov if a student borrower, or the “Request a PLUS Loan” on StudentLoans.gov if a Graduate PLUS or Parent PLUS Loan applicant, etc. Failure to properly complete all required documents will prevent loan processing.