IRS Tax Return Transcript (2015)
The student and parent of a dependent student who was selected for Verification for the 2016-17 Award Year must submit to the UGA Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) an IRS Tax Return Transcript of their 2015 tax year information if:
- they have chosen not to use the FOTW IRS Data Retrieval Process, or
- they used the FOTW IRS Data Retrieval Process, but subsequently changed the information
IRS Tax Return Transcript Request Options
According to IRS, if you filed your 2015 tax return electronically, it takes about 3 weeks before your Tax Return Transcript will be available. If you mailed in a paper copy of your tax return to IRS, it takes about 6 weeks before your Tax Return Transcript will be available.
You can request the IRS Tax Return Transcript in one of three ways:
Get Tax Return Transcript Online
Note: Once you obtain the needed 2015 Tax Return Transcript from IRS, send it to UGA OSFA. Before submitting a parent Tax Return Transcript to us, be sure to print, complete and attach the OSFA Transmittal Form so we can identify the student record to which the tax transcript belongs. DO NOT e-mail the 2015 Tax Return Transcript to our office.
- Go to the IRS's Get Transcript page.
- the IRS lists under "What You Need" the various forms of personal information and items the tax filer needs in order to register for the IRS's online transcript service.
- Once you have gathered the necessary personal information, click “Get Transcript ONLINE” and either provide the needed information to verify your identity or Log in if you have previously registered.
- Once you are logged in, follow the steps to obtain your on-line 2015 IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Once you have printed your 2015 IRS Tax Return Transcript, send it to OSFA as noted above.
Request Tax Return Transcript By Telephone
The IRS has an automated telephone transcript service that can be reached at (800) 908-9946. The Tax Return Transcript will be mailed to you in 5-10 business days. Once you receive the 2015 Tax Return Transcript, send it to UGA OSFA. Before submitting a parent tax transcript to us, be sure to print, complete and attach the Transmittal Form so we can identify the student record to which the tax transcript belongs. DO NOT e-mail the 2015 Tax Return Transcript to our office.
Paper Request for Tax Return Transcript (Form – IRS Form 4506T-EZ)
- IRS Form 4506T-EZ can be used instead of IRS Form 4506-T to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Download IRS Form 4506-EZ
- Complete lines 1 - 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form. Note that line 3 should be the most current address as filed with the IRS. It is the address where the IRS Tax Return Transcript will be sent. If the address has recently changed, include the address listed on the latest tax return filed on Line 4. However, if an address change has been completed through the U.S. Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Line 5 provides tax filers with the option to have their IRS Tax Return Transcript mailed directly to a third party by the IRS. Parents, please skip this line because if you direct the IRS to mail your Tax Transcript directly to the UGA Office of Student Financial Aid, we will not be able to match it to your student’s FAFSA record.
- On line 6 enter “2015”
- The tax filers (or spouse, if requesting information from a joint tax return) must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number. Only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address (or FAX number) provided on page 2 of Form 4506T-EZ.
- Tax filers can expect to receive their transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes their signed request. NOTE: IRS's processing of Form 4506T-EZ means they must verify/validate the information provided on the form. If any information does not match the IRS records, the IRS will notify the tax filer that it was not able to provide the tax return transcript.
Once you receive your IRS Tax Return Transcript, please send it to the UGA Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA). Before submitting a parent tax transcript to us, be sure to print, complete and attach the OSFA Transmittal Form so we will be able to identify the student record to which the tax transcript belongs. DO NOT email your 2015 Tax Return Transcript to our office.
Transcripts for Victims of IRS Identity Theft
Tax filers who, because of IRS identity theft, are denied an IRS Tax Return Transcript using one of the regular request processes will be referred to the Identity Protection Specialized Unit (IPSU) toll-free number at 800-908-4490. Filers who believe they are victims of identity theft do not need to be referred to the IPSU; they may call the number directly or go to the ID theft website on irs.gov. After the IPSU authenticates the tax filer's identify, the tax filer can request that the IRS mail to the tax filer an alternate paper tax return transcript.