The Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Beginning October 1st, 2021, students can complete the 2022-23 FAFSA to apply for the 2022-23 Award Year, which includes Fall 2022, Spring 2023 and Summer 2023
- Beginning October 1st, 2022, students can complete the 2023-24 FAFSA to apply for the 2023-24 Award Year, which includes Fall 2023, Spring 2024 and Summer 2024
- UGA’s Federal School Code is 001598.
Step 1: Get Your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID
Step 2: Complete Your FAFSA
- Before starting the FAFSA, we strongly encourage students and parents to review the U.S. Department of Education's helpful information on filling out the FAFSA.
- Once you are ready to begin the FAFSA:
- Go to www.studentaid.govand click on "Start Here"
- Once you Login with your Federal Student Aid ID,
- Select "START 2022-2023 FAFSA" to apply for Fall 2022, Spring 2023, Summer 2023
- Once available on October 1st, 2022, select "START 2023-2024 FAFSA" to apply for Fall 2023, Spring 2024, Summer 2024, OR
- The UGA Federal school code is 001598.
- OSFA strongly encourages you to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to import your tax
information into the FAFSA.
Step 3: After you have submitted your FAFSA, watch for your Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Department of Education. Look over your SAR carefully, make sure you didn’t make a mistake on your FAFSA form, and make corrections to your FAFSA data if necessary.
Step 4: Provide the UGA Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) additional documentation if it is requested.
- Often times the Department of Education requires schools to obtain additional information from you to complete your FAFSA. If additional information or documentation is needed, UGA OSFA will send an e-mail to your UGAMail account directing you to Log in to Athena to access your unsatisfied financial aid requirements and view the information needed.
- Some examples of items that could be requested are:
Step 5: Once all of your financial aid requirements are satisfied, and if you meet the Basic Student Eligibility Requirements OSFA will be able to award you the federal financial aid for which you are otherwise eligible.
See Your Award Status to access your Application Status on Athena, or your Awards on Athena.