The Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- As of October 1st, 2019, students are able to complete the 2020-21 FAFSA to apply for the 2020-21 Award Year, which includes Fall 2020, Spring 2021 and Summer 2021
- As of October 1st, 2020, students will be able to complete the 2021-22 FAFSA to apply for the 2021-22 Award Year, which includes Fall 2021, Spring 2022 and Summer 2022
- UGA’s Federal School Code is 001598.
Step 1: Get Your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID
Step 2: Complete Your FAFSA
- Prior to completing the actual FAFSA on the Web, we strongly encourage students and parents of undergraduate dependent students to review the U.S. Department of Education's StudentAid.gov website on filling out the FAFSA.
- Once you are ready to begin the FAFSA.
- Go to the FAFSA on the Web and click on “Start a New FAFSA”
- Once you Login with your Federal Student Aid ID,
- Select "START 2019-2020 FAFSA" to apply for Fall 2019, Spring 2020, Summer 2020, OR
- Select “START 2020-2021 FAFSA” to apply for Fall 2020, Spring 2021, Summer 2021 (available October 1st, 2019).
- The UGA Federal school code is 001598.
Step 4: Provide the UGA Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) any of the following documentation they request from you.
- After OSFA receives your Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR), they will determine if you are required to provide any additional documentation to complete the FAFSA process. If additional information or documentation is needed, OSFA will send an e-mail to your UGAMail account directing you to Log in to Athena to access your unsatisfied financial aid requirements and view the information or documents you need to provide them.
- Examples of some of the reasons students or parents of undergraduate dependent students are asked to provide additional documentation.
Step 5: Once all of your financial aid requirements are satisfied, and if you meet the Basic Student Eligibility Requirements OSFA will be able to award you the federal financial aid for which you are otherwise eligible.
See Your Award Status to access your Application Status on Athena, or your Awards on Athena.