Persons with non-immigrant visas (includes those with work visas, students, visitors and foreign government officials) are not eligible for Federal Student Aid (FSA) or State of Georgia Financial Aid.
Following are some examples of these types of Visas and statuses which are not eligible for financial assistance administered by this office, but the list is not all inclusive:
- F-1, F-2, or M-1 Student Visas.
- NATO Visas (NATO).
- A2 and A3 Visas (foreign official, including attendants).
- B-1 or B-2 Visitor Visas.
- J-1 or J-2 Exchange Visitor Visas.
- H or L series Visas which allow temporary employment in the U.S.
- G series Visa (pertaining to international organizations).
- A Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464).
- An I-94 stamped "Temporary Protected Status".
- An "Application for Family Unity Benefits".
- Illegal aliens under the legalization (also called the amnesty) program established by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA).
- Students with "Temporary Protected Status" stamped on I-94 forms.
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status.
- Students with a "withholding of removal" order issued by an immigration judge or by the Board of Immigration Appeals.
- "U-Visa" holders
Possible Assistance for Ineligible Non-Citizens:
This information is provided in an effort to direct ineligible non-citizen students to potential providers of assistance. International students who are in need of assistance can contact the UGA Office of International Education. International students should contact the department in which they plan to study to check for departmental scholarships, assistantships, or stipends. International students should research companies, organizations, or the government from their home country as possible sources of funding.
For information regarding scholarships, international students may check the following Web sites; however, the list is only a suggestion. The UGA Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) does not endorse or confirm these organizations: