Zell Miller Scholarship
Attention Freshman Estimated Award Recipients:
While you may qualify for the Zell Miller Scholarship, using preliminary information, only the HOPE Scholarship can be awarded on your Estimated Award at this time. Zell Miller Scholarship eligibility cannot be determined until early 2017. If your Estimated Award changes, you will be notified at your UGA email address.
The State of Georgia’s Zell Miller Scholarship is available to qualifying Georgia residents and provides an award amount equal to the standard undergraduate tuition rate charged by UGA for the number of hours enrolled up to a maximum of 15 hours per semester.
Apply by either:
- Completing the Georgia Scholarship/Grant Application (GSFAPPS) only once, or
- Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year.
Either of the applications must be properly completed and processed prior to the last date of final exams of the semester for which the student is seeking to receive Zell Miller funds.
The Zell Miller Scholarship award cannot exceed the current UGA standard Undergraduate tuition amount on a per hour basis.
The Zell Miller Scholarship amount initially reflected on UGA financial aid Awards assumes the maximum amount for which students are eligible for the semester. You can click here to view the 2016-17 Zell Miller Scholarship Rates.
UGA assesses flat rate undergraduate tuition in the fall and spring semesters based on enrollment in ranges of 1-6 hours and 7 or more hours. The actual flat rate tuition amount assessed the individual student can vary depending on the student’s degree program; however, the Zell Miller Scholarship award rate is based on the standard UGA flat rate undergraduate tuition amount reflected in this schedule.
The Zell Miller Scholarship does not pay for Academic Assistance (Learning Support) courses or any other courses that do not apply toward any degree. Click here for the list of HOPE & Zell Miller Scholarship Ineligible Courses.
For the 2016-17 Award Year the Zell Miller Scholarship provides a maximum Award Amount of:
- $4,682 for students enrolled in 7 or more hours, and
- $2,782 for students enrolled in 6 or fewer hours.
Rather than assessing a flat tuition rate in the summer, UGA assesses undergraduate tuition on a per credit hour basis. The standard per credit hour undergraduate tuition charge for Summer 2017 is $312.
The Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC) determines student eligibility for the Zell Miller Scholarship using course/grade information provided them by the student’s high school and his or her ACT or SAT test scores. The UGA Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) electronically obtains that eligibility status from the GSFC. Unlike the HOPE Scholarship program, the students whom the GSFC does not determine to be eligible for the Zell Miller Scholarship upon high school graduation cannot later gain eligibility based on their college performance.
To qualify for the Zell Miller Scholarship, students must graduate from an eligible high school 2007 or later with at least a 3.7 grade point average (GPA) as calculated by HOPE Scholarship regulations and must have scored at least a 1200 combined critical reading and math on a single National Administration of the SAT by the time of high school graduation; or a composite scale score of 26 on a single administration of the ACT by the time of high school graduation; or be their high school Valedictorian or Salutatorian. Students must also meet the academic rigor requirements. See Graduate from a HOPE-eligible high school for more details.
UGA OSFA is responsible for confirming the academically eligible students also meet all non-academic eligibility requirements and their continuing academic eligibility.
Continuing and Regaining Eligibility:
- Students must meet the requirements for Georgia Residency for HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarships.
- Students must meet all Basic Student Eligibility Requirements,
- Students must be enrolled in a baccalaureate degree program,
- Students cannot have previously earned a baccalaureate degree,
- Students must have a minimum 3.3 HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship Grade Point Average (GPA) when they are checked at the end of the semesters in which they have attempted their 30th, 60th, 90th HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship Attempted Hours and at the end of every spring semester. Students can only retain or lose their eligibility when checked at the end of the spring semester, they can not regain eligibility. Students can lose, retain, or regain their eligibility at the end of the semesters they are checked for their 30th, 60th, and 90th attempted hours checkpoint.
- Students must have fewer than 127 HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship Attempted Hours.
- Students must have fewer than 127 HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship Paid Hours.
- Students who lose their eligibility solely due to their HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship GPA falling below 3.3 can regain Zell Scholarship eligibility only once.
Returning UGA Students and the Zell Miller Scholarship:
The Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC) provided colleges and universities the names of students who graduated from a Georgia high school prior to 2011 with at least a 3.7 grade point average (GPA) and (prior to high school graduation) scored at least a 1200 on the SAT or a 26 on the ACT in a single test administration or were their high school valedictorian or salutatorian. The Zell Miller Scholarship will be awarded to these UGA students instead of the HOPE Scholarship if they are currently eligible for the HOPE Scholarship and their college HOPE Grade Point Average (GPA) at their most recent HOPE Scholarship checkpoint was at least 3.3.
Seven Year Limit:
A student who has not received a HOPE Scholarship payment prior to Summer term 2011, and meets all other eligibility requirements for Zell Miller Scholarship, may receive the Zell Miller Scholarship until June 30 following the completion of the seventh full year after his or her high school graduation date. Students who received HOPE Scholarship prior to summer 2011 are not subject to the 7 year eligibility limit.
Grade Changes and Incomplete (I) Grades:
To review the possible impact on Zell Miller Scholarship eligibility, see Grade Changes and Incomplete (I) Grades.
Study Abroad/Student Exchange:
To review the HOPE Scholarship procedures for UGA and Non-UGA Study Abroad Programs, see:
- HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarships and UGA Study Abroad Programs,
- HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarships and Non-UGA Study Abroad Programs Offered Thru Eligible Institutions, and
- HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarships and Non-UGA Study Abroad Programs Offered Thru Ineligible Institutions.
To review the HOPE Scholarship procedures for UGA students enrolled at other institutions, see HOPE and Zell Miller Scholarship Transient Process.
See information regarding the HOPE Scholarship.
More information regarding the Zell Miller Scholarship Program, including the GSFAPPS HOPE Scholarship application, is available on the GAfutures.org Web site.
You can also review the applicable Award Year Zell Miller Scholarship Regulations at the Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC) Web site.